Tutor Training Workshop Schedule and Content
The Dominican Literacy Center Tutor Training Workshop is
Conducted in January, May and October of each year.
Friday, 5:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M. Saturday, 9:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. See Workshop Content below.
Trainers: Sr. Janice Brown, O.P.
Sr. Rita Sieg, O.P.
Sr. Ann Ziemba, O.P.
Kimberly Burch Darling
Session 1 Friday, 5:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M.
- History/Cause and Effects/Illiteracy Facts/Binder
- Introduction to Skill Book 1 used by tutors and students.
- Laubach: Method and Alternative Method for Teaching; Group Practice
- Teaching students to print/write letters of the alphabet
- Speech Sounds/Speech Patterns
- The Language Experience Approach
- Overview of Skillbook II
- Contrast ESL/ ABE and ESL Techniques
Session 2 Saturday, 9:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- Continental Breakfast
- Introduction of Participants
- Sensitivity to the Non-reader
- Overview of Skill Book III
- Team Building with Student- Ways to say "Good Job"
- Learning Styles
- Computer Software
- Skill Book IV & Group Practice
- Supplementary Material/Resources
- Review and Reinforce
- Writing Skills
- Comprehension/Spelling/Reading for Fluency (Echo, Alternate and Duet Methods)
- Reading for Everyday Living
- New Tutoring Experience, Ladder of Literacy
- Lesson Planning/Goals/Weekly Reporting/
- Case Studies/ Tutor Data Forms
- Workshop Review/Questions/Evaluation/Jeopardy
- Presentation of Certificates
- ProLiteracy Membership
- 3:30 Adjourn
For more information, call the center at 313-267-1000