The next TTW is January 26-27, 2018.
Tutors at DLC are fully trained and certified in the Laubach Method of adult education by attending a Tutor Training Workshop. This is an internationally acclaimed approach used in teaching the adult learner. The workshop is given by the Dominican Literacy Center staff in a relaxed and enjoyable environment where volunteers gain skills and confidence to effectively assist a learner.
When are workshops held?
The Tutor Training Workshop is conducted at the center in March, June, and October of each year, over the course of two days, beginning on Friday evening, 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm, and continuing on Saturday, 9:00 am - 3:30 pm.
Workshop content is as follows:Session 1: Friday, 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- History/Cause and Effects/Illiteracy Facts/Binder
- Sensitivity to the Non-Reader
- Cognitive Learning Styles
- English Language Learner
- Tutor Tips
- The Language Experience Approach
- Continental Breakfast
- Learning Disabilities
- Spelling and Decoding
- Computer Software
- Laubach Skill Book Overview
- Supplementary Material/Resources
- Writing Skills
- Lesson Planning/Goals/Assessments
- Case Studies/Tutor Data Forms
- Presentation of Certificates
- 3:30 pm Adjourn